Performing arts centre nears completion
04 April 2012
Construction work has almost ended and the finishing touches are being made to the Sir Paul and Lady Ruddock Performing Arts Centre. The Centre, which has been two years in the making, will be officially opened on Friday 27th April 2012.
The Ruddock Performing Arts Centre will be a joint facility for King Edward's School and King Edward VI High School for Girls to support the high-quality performing arts provision that is integral to both Schools. The Centre comprises a concert hall with seating capacity of 500, a studio theatre with 120 seating capacity, dance studio, recording facilities, and numerous practice rooms.
The £10 million building project has been substantially funded by Sir Paul Ruddock (1976) who will be officially opening the Centre at the end of this month with the Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Education.
Sir Paul is not the only Old Edwardian to have contributed to the new development as Ken Smith (1936) sourced the bricks; John Osborn (1962) has a named room within the building in recognition of the musically-gifted boys that he is sponsoring through the Assisted Places Fund; Shaylor Group constructing the development is owned by parents of a current pupil; and KEHS Old Edwardian, and sadly recently deceased, Margaret Davis funded an organ for the concert hall.
The official opening concerts at the end of April, featuring the Schools' Symphony Orchestra and Choral Society, will commence a series of events scheduled throughout the summer term to mark the opening of this fantastic new facility.
To find out more about the Ruddock Performing Arts Centre and the opening festival, click here.